Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Face Behind the Label: Geren Ford




A few minutes with Geren Lockhart

Geren Ford has been a Feature favorite since we opened, and a personal favorite since the label launched. The face behind this cool LA based collection is Geren Lockhart. We have long been obsessed with her easy solid and printed shifts and silk slouchy pants. So for Pre-Fall we thought we would try and dive into Geren's mind and find out what drives her and the collection.

Featured:
'You reference travel a lot for inspiration: What has been the strangest place you've ever found inspiration?'

GL:
'The summer 2006 color pallet was inspired by municipal paint colors from around America. I was traveling a ton when I was working on the design and found myself staring out the window of town cars a lot…thus Chicago dump truck grey / green, or con-ed blue etc… '

Featured:
'And what specifically was your inspiration for your Pre-Fall collection'

GL:
'Jose Ignacio Uruguay – a journey I had the privilege of taking there with a few friends years ago at the end of a 3-month stay in Argentina working as a stylist for commercial campaigns. One of the friends is a journalist and had just written a story on South American Jet Set, so we got a bit of a view behind the curtain. It’s a wonderful beach culture that is easy and sophisticated at the same time. Craft always plays a big part in my inspiration, which is a core value of the culture in Uruguay. This comes through in the Pre-Fall collection through the color pallet, the fabrications, and the use of technique in furthering through subtle ways the use of fabrics, and hardware.'

Featured:
'Technically, it was a pair of pants that started your journey as a designer. But it seems like you're just as well known for your silk tunics and cool prints. How did one lead to the other?'

GL:
'I did begin with one pair of pants….I made myself a pair of drawstring pants to fill a need in my own life and just like those pants each garment follows the idea that form follows function, that most importantly it is about the choices you make. Therefore it’s all in the details, so it doesn’t matter what the object or garment is as long as the goals are the same, chic, effortless, sexy and lasting.'

Featured:
'What's your design process like: Do you work at night or during the day? Organized or a bit chaotic? Do you have any routines you do?'

GL:
'I design day & night, and especially while traveling. While at Parsons for a brief moment I took away some amazing tools, one of our instructors told us to always keep our eyes open, so for me that means it never ends. There is a constant collection of imagery and inspiration that is cataloged both literally and figuratively for use when the schedules and the pace allow for the actual design to happen. I spend a portion of the process in my own head and with a pad and pencil, then a collection goes up on the wall and it becomes a collaboration of choices between departments and vendors with the collections themes and goals providing the guide we edit too all of that leads us to what you eventually see at retail.'

Featured:
'If you hadn't become a designer, what field do you think you would work in?'

GL:
'10 years ago if you had asked me I would have 100% said travel, but now that I’ve got the bug I would say entrepreneur of some sort.'


Geren Ford Pre-Fall 2010
In Store Now








No comments:

Post a Comment

wibiya widget